Adventure Gamer

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Serious Games: Island of Dr Brain

Quite a number of educational games that I played previously sucked. Both my Primary and Secondary school thought that those games were good for some reason, and so us students were forced to play such games in the name of "education". I've lost count on the number of bad educational games I've played, though what I do remember is that the settings usually had nothing to do with the content material, and the questions/tests were not only boring and lame, but also very easy. So when I played Island of Dr Brain some years later, I was pleasantly surprised.

Sequel to the award winning Castle of Dr Brain, Island of Dr Brain is a puzzle game with adventure elements. You play as Dr Brain's assistant, and your task is to and explore and solve what Dr Brain dubs "security puzzles" on his island in order to retrieve a special battery. There were puzzles on math, language, art history, physics, logic, chemistry, genetics, music, navigation and other subjects. There was even a puzzle on logic gates! And this game is meant for those in elementary school!

The first question you might be asking yourself is how any of these vastly different subjects fit into the context of this game. The answer to that - puzzles. It works to a certain extent because puzzles in a puzzle game don't always have to fit the context of the story to be seen as part of the game. In Zork Nemesis (a non-serious puzzle game), for instance, one puzzle required players to play the correct notes in order to open a door. Does it make sense logically? No. Does it break immersion of the game? No, because the players generally see this as part of the game.

The same goes for Island of Dr Brain in most cases. In one puzzle, the player had to figure out the correct counterweights using three different measuring cups and three different liquids for the lift to function. In another puzzle, the player had to recreate the spectrum using three different chemical powders to gain access to the next room. I think there was even one time I had to invoke simple programming to instruct a robot to fetch a key for me to advance to the next room at one point as well. Because these puzzles were presented in an interesting (and sometimes creative) way, it didn't feel like I was doing homework disguised as a so-called game, but actually playing it and being challenged at the same time. This is where Island of Dr Brain succeeds as an educational learning tool and as a game compared to most other serious games meant for children.



Some puzzles work better than others though, for both the fun and educational level. For one thing, having a German/Spanish/French (at least I think it was French) crossword puzzle in the game wasn't very fun, and I'm not too sure whether the player would be able to remember those foreign words. All I remember is "haar", "vater" and "null", and the rest is forgotten. Also, why would people want to play crossword puzzles on a computer? Where's the fun in staring at the screen for words and using the mouse to highlight those that you find along the way? The same goes for the jigsaw puzzle. There's just little point in transferring that to a computer game, when there are so many physical versions available in shops. Not only that, but this puzzle also had very little educational value.

Still, it's quite a well-developed game. Not perfect, but rather good, especially when compared to the other serious games that I played in school in the name of "education".

2 Comments:

  • I think it's fallacious to claim that puzzles in an adventure game don't have to fit the context of the story to be seen as part of the game. First-person adventures like Zork Nemesis or the Myst series deliberately evoke a mysterious atmosphere that allows them to get away with having obscure, strange puzzles because they seem to fit in with the dream-like atmosphere of the games. In a weird way, the very illogicality of the puzzles in those games reinforces their stories. I find illogical puzzles to be much less acceptable in more plot-driven adventure games.

    I haven't played the Dr Brain games but if I played it when I was younger, the very first question I would ask is- why did Dr Brain use school-level puzzles as a security system and why doesn't he solve them himself? Heh I guess it's a fair enough framework to build an educational game around and barring such objections could well be a very enjoyable game, but it's still quite contrived. That's not so much a criticism of the particular game as it is an unfortunate "feature" of most educational games, though.

    By Blogger hazylium, at 5:09 pm  

  • If it were a plot-driven adventure game, then I'd agree with you, but this game was mainly a puzzle game with adventure game elements, not an adventure game, so the puzzles don't always have to fit the context of the story. I never said that the puzzles in an adventure game didn't have to fit the context of the story to be seen as part of the game.

    ...the very first question I would ask is- why did Dr Brain use school-level puzzles as a security system and why doesn't he solve them himself?

    Very good question. The same thing can be said of so many RPGs, Adventure games and MMOs too. Why do so many NPC quest givers make the player go on quests that they could very well handle themselves? Why are the traps so easy to disarm? Or why must the player do a puzzle to disarm it? I notice that players don't usually care about any of those as long as the game is fun. If a developer can remove any loopholes in the game, then all the better, but if the game is fun, and the loophole isn't that obvious, it probably doesn't matter.

    By Blogger Swift, at 6:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home